Climate and location:
The centre relishes a sub-tropical climate with an average temperature of 21 degree C. The maximum temperature recorded till date is 33.7 C and a minimum of 0.6 C. The centre is located at base of Bajo town in between ARDC and FMCL, Wangdue Phodrang at an altitude of 1200masl on the east bank of Punatsang Chu.
Regional Mandate, Functions and Service Availability:
The National Seed Centre, Regional Farm Bajo has regional mandate to function as the seed supplying Agency in the West- Central Region which is formed by the Dzongkhags of Gasa, Punakha, Wangduephodrang and Dagana. It represent NSC in the West-Central Region. The regional farm Bajo:
- Collects raw seeds of cereals and vegetables from the farmers of these Dzongkhags.
- Supplies planting material and agricultural inputs.
- Visits field and inspects the crops in the farmer’s field.
- Collects demands of fertilizers, seeds and seedlings from the ASSRs.
- Cultivates field crops and horticultural crops in the station.
- Collects fertilizer demand from the ASSRs.
- Coordinates with the Dzongkhags and Geog Extension with the supply of seeds and seedlings.
The centre has two broad mandated programs
- On station: The farm has approximately 13.7 acres of land. (Including land, buildings and structures, forest cover, roads). Plantation of field crops including paddy of 5 varieties (Bajo Kaap1, Bajo Kaap 2, Bajo Maap 2, IR 20913 and IR 64) and mustard (Yusipeka 15). In vegetables we have Ladies Finger (Kranti), Tomato (Roma/Ratan), Mustard Green (Him Beauty) and Bean (Borlotto). We also have a program on Walnut grafting, production of Passion Fruit and Guava seedlings.
- RSG Program (Registered Seed Growers): The RSG program is geared by the RSG coordinator. Activities in this program include:
- Identification of potential and interested farmers and farming lands to initiate and undertake the RSG plantation.
- Supplying processed seeds to the farmers as basic seed.
- Inspection of the RSG field.
- Providing knowledge and educating the farmers on crops plantation and quality maintenance.
- Hands on training to farmers on quality wheat and paddy seed production.
- Collection of raw seeds from the farmers, processing and packaging the seeds.
Over the years the Regional Farm Bajo has built up its capacity in production and management. Various management technologies like sowing time, planting density, weeding time, top dressing time, seed rate, soil fertility and plant protection has helped to improve the production and reduced the man force. The centre also had success in the collection of many metric tons of paddy seeds and wheat seeds from the RSGs fields. The centre also process and pack approximately 10-15 metric tons of paddy and around 20-25 metric tons of wheat annually.
NSC, BAJO, WANGDUEPHODRANG
Regional farm Bajo
Post box no: 1246
Tel: +975 02 481872(RM)
Tel Fax: +975 02 481259